Many readers are interested in the following topic: How Many Days After Missed Period Pregnancy Test Is Positive. We are happy to note, that our authors have already studied the modern research about the topic you are interested in. Based on the information provided in the latest medical digests, modern research and surveys, we provide extensive answer. Keep reading to find out more.
Pregnancy is exciting but waiting for it is a difficult process which really tries your patience. Pregnancy occurs when a sperm fertilizes an egg but you cannot tell immediately that you are pregnant. Instead, you have to wait until the fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus. This will send enough levels of HCG hormone into the bloodstream. If you are among the women who have been asking “how many days after missed period pregnancy test is positive” the answer is given below.
How Many Days After Missed Period Can Period Pregnancy Test Be Positive?
Pregnancy tests check if you blood or urine has the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone which is released after a fertilized egg is implanted on the wall of the uterus. This process takes six days after fertilization in most cases. The level of hCG continues to increase throughout pregnancy and doubles after 2-3 days. To get a positive pregnancy test, most women will have to wait 5-10 days after their period was due. Some may detect pregnancy earlier becuase hCG accumulates at different rates for different women. The two major pregnancy tests are discussed below.
1. Urine Test
A woman can take a urine test at home or at her doctor’s office. She can take a home test a week after missing her period and then conduct another test with the doctor to confirm the results. The advantage of home pregnancy tests is that they are convenient, easy, quick and private. Urine test products come with clear instructions that any woman can follow. Following those instructions carefully gives accurate results. Here’s how to do a urine test:
- Place the test’s stick in the urine stream;
- Dip the test’s stick in a cup full of urine;
- Use a dropper to transfer urine from a cup to another container.
After a few minutes you will see a “+” or “–” symbol, one or two lines or color depending on the kit. Digital urine tests give “pregnant” or “not pregnant” results. Consult your doctor or the number given on the kit if you are unsure about the results.
2. Blood Test
Blood tests are less popular than urine tests and are usually done in the doctor’s office. They detect pregnancy about 6-7 days after ovulation. However, it takes longer to get results from a blood test. The two types of blood tests are:
- A qualitative hCG test: This test confirms if the blood contains hCG and indicates if you are pregnant or not. Doctors use it to confirm pregnancy 10 days after missing your period or earlier. This partly answers your question “how many days after missed period pregnancy test is positive”.
- A quantitative hCG test: This test gives the accurate amount of hCG in a woman’s blood including very little amounts. Besides, it can also be used in combination with other tests to check for ectopic or tubal pregnancy and monitor a woman’s condition after a miscarriage when hCG reduces.
Note: If have an irregular menstrual cycle, do not take any test until you pass the longest menstrual cycle you have ever had. For instance, if your cycle takes 30-36 days, the best time to take a pregnancy test is after 37 days. In addition, do not take an early pregnancy test after a hCG trigger shot because it will detect the residue of fertility drugs.
How Accurate Are Pregnancy Test?
Taking a urine pregnancy test first in the morning is likely to give your more accurate results because your urine is more concentrated at that time. The accuracy rate of urine pregnancy tests can be up to 99%, while the accuracy of blood tests is above 99%. If you are still wondering “how many days after missed period pregnancy test is positive” take the test a week after you miss your period for accurate results
What Affects the Accuracy of Pregnancy Test Result?
Accurate test results are important to women especially those who have waited for a long period of time. Several factors affect the accuracy of pregnancy test results:
1. Implantation Timing
Pregnancy tests check for hCG’s presence in the urine or blood. It takes about a week for the fertilized egg to attach on the wall of the uterus. You may get negative results if you take a pregnancy test before implantation.
2. HCG Levels in the Urine
The level of hCG in your urine varies depending on your drinking habits. Taking lots of fluid dilutes your urine, which affect the results of a pregnancy test. Concentrated urine will give more accurate results than diluted urine.
3. HCG Levels in the Blood
It may take a longer period to get positive results if the levels of hCG in a woman’s blood are low. The hCG levels will vary and this will affect the test results.
4. The Sensitivity of the Urine Home Pregnancy Tests
Each urine test has its own level of sensitivity. High sensitivity test may detect pregnancy early, while others may have to wait for a little bit longer. The instructions on the test kit will give you its sensitivity level, which reduce your confusion about “how many days after missed period pregnancy test is positive”.
- Fever During Pregnancy
- What Happens During Menopause?
- How Did You Know You Were Pregnant?
- How to Use Menstrual Cup
- Stop the Period to Have Sex or Have Sex During Period?
- Night Sweats During Period
- Evaporation Line on Pregnancy Test
- Why Do You Feel Cold During Early Pregnancy?
- Can I Be Pregnant If I Had a Period?
- Second Month of Pregnancy
- Breast Cancer Metastasis to Liver
- What Causes Sore and Swollen Vagina? How to Help
- Pain under Your Right Breast That Is Sharp
- 6 Possible Causes of Yellow-Colored Discharge Prior to Period
- Sex After Hysterectomy
- What Causes Fishy Odor in Vaginas?
- Spotting a Week Before Period
- Treating and Preventing Vaginal Ingrown Hairs