Those who have been trying to get a flatter stomach know how difficult it is to get rid of belly fat. You cannot ‘spot reduce’ body fat, which means that doing hundreds of crunches daily is not going to leave you with a flat stomach. You have to lower your overall body fat to get washboard abs. While exercise is important, your diet plays a big role in determining your body fat percentage. There are foods you should and should not eat when trying to get a flat stomach. Let’s talk more about foods to never eat for a flat stomach – you will also learn about the foods you should include in your diet to get good results.
5 Foods to Never Eat for a Flat Stomach
It is true that you need to avoid certain foods because they provide you with empty calories, but if you are especially concerned about your puffy midsection, bloating may as well be the problem. Certain foods can cause bloating, which is going to make your belly look swollen. Here are some of the foods to eliminate from your diet to have a flatter midsection.
1. Sweets and Soda
Both soda and sweets offer little nutritional value and add a lot to your overall calorie intake. It is actually quite worrying to see so many people going for a soda or candy for lunch and dinner, and you should avoid making this mistake when you are concerned about losing weight. Soda is bad, not just because it provides you with empty calories, but also because it makes you swallow air that may lead to a distended belly. Therefore, you should avoid soda as much as possible and instead opt for healthier drinks such as pure water or iced tea.
2. Alcoholic Substances
Many studies have confirmed that alcoholic beverages can affect your health in different ways. They cause fat accumulation in the body, and that is mainly because they provide you with calories and no other beneficial nutrients. If you binge drink, you may actually be consuming thousands of calories at one time. Similarly, it is important to avoid foods that may have sugar alcohols, such as sorbitol, lactitol, and xylitol, mainly because these foods ferment when in your digestive system and lead to bloating.
3. Fruit Juices
While fruit juices may provide you with beneficial nutrients, they also contain high levels of sugar. You need to limit your intake of sugar when your aim is to have a flatter stomach, and that is why fruit juices are on our list of 5 foods to never eat for a flat stomach. Your body converts sugar into fat that will deposit in your midsection. Moreover, too much of fruit juices may also result in a puffy belly, which is another reason why you may want to keep fruit juices out of your diet.
4. Frozen Foods
It is also a good idea to keep frozen foods out of your diet because these foods contain loads of salts, fats, and preservatives that can make you gain weight quickly. Frozen foods also contain lots of sodium, which can result in fluid retention and bloating. While frozen foods are not healthy, this does not apply to frozen fruits and veggies.
5. White Bread
Most people opt for white bread because they find it a sweeter and cheaper alternative to brown bread. Your body converts white bread into sugar fast, and when absorbed into your system, it can increase your fat percentage. White bread may offer quick energy, but it provides you with almost no nutritional value. Therefore, it is on the list of 5 foods to never eat for a flat stomach.
6. Other Foods to Avoid
In addition to the foods mentioned already, you may also want to avoid the following food options to improve your chances of getting a flatter stomach. For instance:
- Avoid fast food as much as possible. A single meal can provide you with more than 2,000 calories, and it is likely to have bad fat that can cause other health related complications.
- You may want to avoid dairy food because it is high in carbs and bad fats. It certainly contains calcium, but you cannot afford to increase your fat intake when you want a flat stomach. It is better to get your calcium from leafy greens and other low-calorie options.
- You should not eat snack foods when trying to lose belly fat. Avoid trail mix, chips, and pretzels because they provide you with loads of calories without offering any nutritional value.
5 Foods to Eat for a Flat Stomach
You already know the list of 5 foods to never eat for a flat stomach, but you may also want to know about foods you can include in your diet to get better results. Here are some good options:
- Fish: Increase your intake of fish because it provides you with a good amount of protein as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Protein is important because it keeps you full for longer, whereas omega-3 fatty acids provide fat-burning benefits.
- Apples: Including apples in your diet may help keep your belly bulge at bay. That is mainly because apples are a great source of fiber and other important nutrients. They are also low in calories. Do not forget to eat the apple peel, as it provides you with insoluble fiber.
- Oats: Both oats and oatmeal provide you with fiber, which is important for your digestive health. It keeps your stomach full and prevents hunger pangs. It also facilitates bowel movement and prevents bloating.
- Bananas: Eating potassium-rich foods, such as bananas are going to help reduce water retention and prevent bloating. Bananas are also good because they work as a mild diuretic and resolve issues related to bloating.
- Yogurt: Yogurt can have a place in every diet plan mainly because it provides you with probiotics, which improve the number of good bacteria in your gut and prevent bloating.